Problem: Icelandic characters are not displayed correctly in shapefiles created using the SDE2SHP command
Icelandic characters are not displayed correctly in shapefiles created using the SDE2SHP command.
This is caused by the limitation of OEM 865 codepage. For Icelandic characters, the .dbf file by default is encoded in OEM 865. However there are some Icelandic characters that are not included in this codepage. The characters missing from the codepage will be replaced by '?' when an SDE layer is converted to shapefile.
Solution or Workaround
Change the default .dbf codepage to the currently active OS codepage.
- Set the OS locale to Icelandic.
- Locate dbase.txt in $SDEHOME/locale/codepage.
- Open dbase.txt in a text editor.
- Remove the following line from dbase.txt:
-106 865 8
- Save the file and try SDE2SHP.