Error: Windows could not start the ArcIMS...specific error code -2147418113
When starting ArcIMS Service, the following error may occur:
Error: Windows could not start the ArcIMS <Application Server 4.0.1 Service> on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to server-specific error code -2147418113"This error may also occur when starting the ArcIMS Monitor 4.0.1 Service and the ArcIMS Tasker 4.0.1 Service.
ArcIMS services cannot start the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine or the opposite: Microsoft Java Virtual Machine cannot start the ArcIMS services.
Solution or Workaround
Re-install the Java Virtual Machine from the ArcIMS CD, and run an update from Microsoft to install the latest version of the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Load the ArcIMS CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- Open a command prompt, and change to the location <CD-Rom>\Support\MSJavaVM. Type msjavx86.exe /C to run the file.
- The prompts that follow are a user agreement and a request location to extract additional files. Browse to a location of your choice on the hard drive, such as C:\temp, and click OK.
- Open a file browser such as Windows Explorer, and browse to the directory of the extracted files (C:\temp if used), and run the file 'javatrig.exe'.
- Once Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is installed, reboot the system.
- After rebooting, visit the Microsoft Update Catalog website, and load the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine Security Update. Select the operating system and current patch level on your computer. Look under critical patches for the latest version of the Microsoft JVM.
- When the updates are complete, reboot again.
- Confirm that the ArcIMS Services are now started in the Windows Services control panel.