Problem: Labels do not rotate when the data frame is rotated
Rotating the data frame in ArcMap using the tools from the Data Frame Tools toolbar does not rotate the labels in the data frame.
This is a known limitation.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the options provided below to solve the issue.
1. Close any ArcMap and ArcCatalog sessions.
2. Open the ArcMap Advanced Settings utility file from the ArcGIS for Desktop installation folder.
This file is usually located in the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\Utilities
• ArcGIS 9.x users can find this file at:
• ArcGIS 8.x users can find this file at:
3. Select the Symbols/Graphics tab, and check the 'Rotate labels with data frame rotation' check box in the Label annotation section.
4. Click Apply and Close.
1. In ArcMap, activate the Labeling toolbar by navigating to Customize > Toolbars > Labeling.
2. Activate the Maplex Label Engine by clicking the Labeling drop-down arrow > Use Maplex Label Engine.
3. Click the Labeling drop-down arrow > Options.
4. Open the General tab, and check the 'Rotate point and polygon labels when data frame is rotated' check box in the Data Frame Rotation section, and click OK.
- Bug: NIM-034198
- ArcGIS for Desktop Help: Working with the Maplex Label Engine
- ArcGIS for Desktop Help: A quick tour of the Labeling toolbar
- ArcGIS for Desktop Help: Working with the data frame tools