Bug: The Desktop Administrator does not open, or takes a long time to open
After installing ArcGIS Desktop, either the Desktop Administrator program does not open, or it takes a long time to open.
There is an incorrect license manager reference on the system. The Desktop Administrator for ArcGIS Desktop 8.3 probes the license manager upon opening. If the license manager is not available, or a license manager does not exist with the hostname specified, the Desktop Administrator appears to hang or simply disappears.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
Remove the incorrect license manager reference from the Windows registry.
- Open the Registry Editor by going to Start > Run and type regedit. Click OK.
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ESRI\License hive.
- Double-click on the LICENSE_SERVER variable to edit it. Change the license server reference.
- Remove the erroneous reference and replace it with '@hostname' (no quotes) where hostname is the hostname of the machine on which the license manager resides.
Note: You can also specify the license server by ip address by using '@ipaddress' (no quotes) as the argument.
- ArcGIS Desktop Administrator is not populated
- The Desktop Administrator does not correctly change the license manager