How To: Configure the HP DesignJet 500 for use with ArcGIS
A variety of settings to configure the Hewlett-Packard Designjet 500 for optimum use with ArcGIS ArcMap are suggested below. Select those settings that pertain to your printer and desired output.
The HP DesignJet 500 printer is designed to be a easy-to-use, inexpensive device. For optimal results with ArcGIS 8.X, ESRI recommends the installation of the optional HPGL2 card and use of the Windows or ArcPress printer engines.
The optional HPGL2 card is not required for use with ArcPress for ArcGIS 9.X because a new direct driver, HP PCL RGB, is now available.
PostScript compatibility is also available, however it is supported by a third-party rasterizer that is installed on your computer. It is not the easiest method nor is it the recommended method for using this device.
This article assumes that the HP DesignJet 500 has been configured to work with your computer, either as a local printer or through a network print server, and that all components are functioning properly. Administrative privileges are necessary to modify the driver settings.
· Printer Drivers
This is the HP-GL2/HP-RTL version 5.32 printer driver for the HP DesighJet 500. It can be found by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Printers and right-clicking on the icon for the 500 and choosing either Document Defaults or Printing Preferences.
2. PostScript - The 500PS series printer uses a third party rasterizer software that installs on your computer. The printer does not have an on-board PostScript rasterizer.
· Printer Options - These printer options are found on the printer's front panel display in the Printer Setup menu.
2. Press the down arrow until you find Nest or Nesting and press Enter.
3. Press the appropriate arrow to get to the Off setting and press Enter.
2. Press the down arrow until you find Size and press Enter.
3. Press the appropriate arrow to get to the various size settings and press Enter.
2. Press the down arrow until you find Rotate and press Enter.
3. Press the appropriate arrow to get to the rotation setting desired and press Enter.
2. Press the down arrow until you find Margins and press Enter.
3. Press the appropriate arrow to select the desired margin setting and press Enter.
Nesting is not supported.
· Setting a Custom Page size
1. Close ArcMap/ArcView.
2. Enter the driver interface.
3. In the Basic Setup Tab pull down the Paper Sizes Menu and select .
4. The Custom paper size section is on the right; set the desired custom size and click Ok and then Ok at the driver window.
· ArcGIS 9.X
Use ArcPress's HP PCL RGB driver. This does not require the optional HPGL2 card.
· ArcGIS 8.X; ArcView GIS
Use either the Windows printer engine from ArcMap or ArcPress's RTL Device Dithered (RGB) driver. Both work with the HP-GL2/HP-RTL printer driver and require the optional HPGL2 card installed.
When printing with ArcPress use the HP-GL2/HP-RTL driver and select the HP RTL Device Dithered (RGB) option in the ArcPress properties.
To print to this device with ArcPress, ArcView GIS requires the ArcPress Version 2.0a patch for ArcView GIS, available through a link in Related Information, below.
Known issues with the HP 500 and ArcMap
2. Due to the size of ArcMap print files, many jobs may spool, hang, or not print to the base models.
3. Orthophotography may print with a green or pink 'haze' that is a result of the dithering done by the printer/driver.
- Does ArcPress support the HP DesignJet 5500, 5000, 800 or 500?
- ArcPress 2.0a for ArcView Patch
- Print with ArcPress RTL Device Dithered RGB or HP RTL RGB (Truecolor) driver
- HP DesignJet Printer Information (ESRI)
- Hewlett Packard (HP)
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000006067