How To: Insert a subset grid into a base grid
Instructions provided describe how to insert a subset grid into a base grid. It may be necessary to insert a smaller portion, or subset, of one grid into a larger, base grid. Functionality found in the Spatial Analyst 'Merge' command can perform this operation.
Follow the steps below.
- Start ArcMap and add the base and subset grids to the data frame.
- Activate the Spatial Analyst toolbar, if not already active, and select 'Spatial Analyst > Options.'
- Click the 'Extent' tab.
- Set the Analysis Extent to 'Same as layer "<Base grid>".'
- Click 'OK' to close the 'Options' dialog.
- Select, on the Spatial Analyst toolbar, 'Spatial Analyst > Raster Calculator.'
- Use the 'Merge' command in the Raster Calculator. Specify the subset grid first. This is an example of the syntax:
- Click 'Evaluate' and then analyze the output 'Calculation' layer for quality. If the layer is correct, right-click it and select 'Make Permanent.' Save the grid to a permanent storage location.
For a complete description of how the 'Merge' command works, refer to the Spatial Analyst Functional Reference from the Desktop help.