Bug: The symbol '>' shows up as '<' in ArcIMS Viewers
In ArcIMS Viewers, HTML Viewer or Java Viewer, the symbol '>' occasionally displays as '<'. For example, '<USA>' displays as '<USA<'.
This is a known issue with the TrueType fonts that come with JRE, which is included in the ArcIMS install.
Using TrueType fonts from JRE 1.3.1_01 instead of the <ArcIMS Installation directory>/jre/lib/fonts resolves the problem.
- Download and install JRE 1.3.1_01.
- Download the file 'j2re-1_3_1_01-linux-i386.bin' from JRE 1.3.1_01.
- Select the Linux self-extracting file option and click Continue.
- Read and accept the license agreement.
- Select a site and download the j2re-1_3_1_01-linux-i386.bin file.
- To make the file executable, type:
chmod a+x j2re-1_3_1_01-linux-i386.bin
- Select a location, for example, /usr/local/java, and install j2re-1_3_1_01 by typing:
- Accept all the default settings during the installation. The Java files should be extracted into the same directory using their predefined file structure. A directory called 'jre1.3.1_01' is created.
- Navigate to the jre1.3.1_01/lib/fonts directory.
- Copy the following fonts to usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType directory:
Create the TrueType directory if it does not exist.
- Register the fonts with the X Font Server. Type:
ttmkfdir -d . -o fonts.scale
cp fonts.scale fonts.dir
chkfontpath -a /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
Last Published : 11/13/2016
Article ID: 000006046
Software: ArcIMS 9.1, 9.0.1, 9.0, 4.0.1 More Products legacy.products