Error: Repair Geocoding Service
There are three methods to add StreetMap USA.loc, from 2003 ArcGIS StreetMap USA DVD and CD, geocoding service in ArcMap.
Edit > Find > Addresses tab > Browse button
Tools > Geocoding > Geocode Addresses > Add button
Tools > Geocoding > Geocoding Services Manager > Add button.
Any three of these methods may produce the following error message:
"Repair Geocoding Service - The geocoding service is damaged. Would you like to repair it? Cannot open reference data file: [CD or DVD drive:]\Data\streets\usa.edg".
With the new organization of the 2003 StreetMap USA data, the relative path from the StreetMap USA.loc file to the usa.edg file has changed. The relative path stored in the StreetMap USA.loc file was not updated to reflect this change.
Solution or Workaround
The geocoding service can be repaired if the file is located on a hard drive and is writable.
Follow these steps to repair the geocoding service:
1. On the error message dialog box, click No.
2. Copy the StreetMap USA.loc file to a hard drive and make it writable.
3. Add this StreetMap USA.loc geocoding service in the same manner it was attempted before.
4. Click Yes to display the Repair Geocoding Service dialog box.
5. In the Reference data box, navigate to and select the usa.edg file located in the \usa\streets folder on the 2003 ArcGIS StreetMap USA disk.