Problem: The output image of a GET_LAYOUT request is not the same size as specified in the request
You can specify the size of an ArcMap Service layout using the IMAGESIZE element in the ArcXML GET_LAYOUT request. The IMAGESIZE width and height attributes specify the size of the output image in pixels. The actual width and height of the resulting image may not match the width and height you specified in the request.
There may be two reasons for this.
1. In order to maintain the proper map scale, ArcMap Server may modify the width and height to keep the aspect ratio of the layout page. The actual width and height of the output image can be different from those requested.
2. The layout page units of the ArcMap document being served is something other than inches. **This issue has been resolved in ArcIMS 4.0.1**
Solution or Workaround
This is expected behavior. The actual size in pixels of the output image will be returned to the client in the ArcXML response's OUTPUT element. This element's width and height attributes contain the values.
If you are using version 4.0 you will need to change the layout page units of the Arcmap document to inches and refresh the map service.
- Working with the GET_LAYOUT request and ArcMap Server: a list of related articles
- Calculate the image width and height attributes for a GET_LAYOUT request
- Use the IMAGESIZE tag of a GET_LAYOUT request
- The map scale does not change when changing the image size of an ArcMap Server GET_LAYOUT request