Problem: SDE connection\Owner.Table contains the Blob field: SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA. The output shapefile will not contain this Blob field
Using ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox, or ArcSDE Administration commands to export an Oracle Spatial layer loaded through ArcGIS tools to a shapefile returns the error:
"<SDE connection\Owner.Table> contains the Blob field: SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA. The output shapefile will not contain this Blob field."
Following the above errors additional error may occur.
This error has been resolved in ArcGIS 8.3.
Oracle Spatial, the SDO_GEOMETRY data type, does not support annotation features, parametric curve features, or CAD data. When creating new feature classes stored as Oracle Spatial, ArcGIS implements these types of features through a BLOB column called SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA. When a feature class is created, ArcGIS assumes that the SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA column will be needed.
The ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox, and ArcSDE Administration command exporters do not exclude the SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA column from the export. BLOB data types are not supported in shapefiles, resulting in a failed export.
Solution or Workaround
Use the following steps to hide the SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA column and export the Oracle Spatial layer to a shapefile using ArcMap.
- Start ArcMap and add the Oracle Spatial layer.
- Right-click the layer in the TOC and select Properties. Click the Fields tab.
- Select the SE_ANNO_CAD_DATA field.
- Uncheck the Visible check box and click Apply. Click OK.
- Right-click the layer in the TOC and select Data > Export Data.
- Click the Folder icon to select the desired storage directory.
- Select Shapefile in the 'Save as type' dropdown list, enter a name and click Save.
- Click OK on the Export Data dialog box.
The sde2shp command with the -a flag can be used.