How To: Install the USGS FGDC metadata utilties
Free metadata utilities are available from USGS, including mp (metadata parser) and cns (chew and spit). Use mp to validate FGDC metadata and to convert FGDC metadata files from one supported format to another. Use cns to turn poorly-formatted metadata text files into well-formatted text files that can be read properly by mp.
This article describes how to install these utilities. Detailed descriptions about these tools and instructions for using them can be found at http://geology.usgs.gov/tools/metadata.
- Using a web browser, go to the Internet address http://geology.usgs.gov/tools/metadata.
- In the green box, click the Small package link under the heading "Download software packages".
- In the dialog box that appears, click Save to download the appropriate files to your computer.
- Navigate to the location where the bin_win.exe file should be placed, e.g., "C:\USGS", then click Save. Close the web browser.
- Double-click bin_win.exe on your computer in the location where this file was placed.
- In the dialog box that appears, click OK to start the install process.
- Type the location where the files should be installed on your computer, e.g., "C:\USGS", then click Unzip.
- A message will appear indicating if all files were successfully written to your computer. Click OK.
- A readme file is opened in a text editor with information about the utilities. Close the file when you are ready.