Problem: Unable to login to Administrator in ArcIMS 4.0
Attempts to login to Administrator after installing ArcIMS 4.0 or additional ArcIMS components, or after deleting the AimsAdmPw file, result in the following:
1. the login dialog for existing users opens instead of the dialog to set a new username and password.
2. the line 'XML Parser Error' appears in the Application Server debug log file. (<ArcIMS Installation Directory>\AppServer\log)
Note: The Application Server's debug and logToFile properties must be activated in order for the error to be logged. See the link in Related Information below for details on how to activate these options.
The Application Server is unable to handle the login request correctly because the XML parser, aimsmutil.jar, is not available to the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (VM).
Solution or Workaround
The parser, aimsmutil.jar, must be made available to the Microsoft Java VM by setting the relevant classpath parameter in the Windows Registry.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Open the Windows Registry by clicking Start > Run and typing 'regedit' in the dialog box.
- Navigate to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM and double-click Classpath.
- Scroll through the entries in the Value Data string and delete all existing path entries for aimsmutil.jar.
- Add the current location of aimsmutil.jar to the end of the Value Data string using the following syntax:
;<ArcIMS Installation Directory>\ArcIMS\Middleware\lib\aimsmutil.jar
- Click OK to close the dialog box and close the Registry Editor window.
- Open the Windows Services dialog box.
To start and stop Windows services:Stop them in the following order:
-On Windows NT: Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Services.
-On Windows 2000: Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services.
-On Windows XP: Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Component Services and click Services on the Tree tab. Stop and start the ArcIMS services. There is a specific sequence to follow when stopping and restarting the ArcIMS services (Windows) or processes (UNIX).
A) ArcIMS Tasker
B) ArcIMS Monitor
C) ArcIMS Application Server
Start them in the opposite order you stopped them:
A) ArcIMS Application Server
B) ArcIMS Monitor
C) ArcIMS Tasker For further information about the stop and start of ArcIMS services on Windows or Linux operating systems, see the articles listed in Related Information below.
- Open Administrator. The login dialog box for setting a new username and password is now enabled.
- How to Modify the Windows Registry
- Enable full verbose logging for ArcIMS Application Server, Monitor, Tasker, Spatial Servers, and ArcSDE on Windows