How To: Access an ArcMap layout using the ArcIMS GET_LAYOUT request
You can serve ArcMap Layouts through ArcIMS (version 4.0 or higher) and access them using the GET_LAYOUT request. Out-of-the-box ArcIMS clients such as the HTML viewer or Java viewer and other clients such as ArcGIS (ArcMap and ArcCatalog), ArcPad, and ArcExplorer Java do not have the built-in tools necessary to access layouts from an ArcMap Service.
Only a custom client can utilize the GET_LAYOUT request to access ArcMap layouts via ArcIMS.
There a number of things to keep in mind when using the GET_LAYOUT request.
- The GET_LAYOUT request must be implemented in a custom client.
Click the show me for an example of a GET_LAYOUT request. For additional information consult the ArcXML Programmer's Reference Guide 4.0 available in the ESRI Online Support Center.
See: How To: Use the ArcMap Server GET_LAYOUT request
- Save the ArcMap document (.mxd) in layout view before creating the ArcMap Service. Saving a document in data view may alter the result of a GET_LAYOUT request.
See: Problem: The data frame extent is different than expected for a layout result from an ArcMap Server GET_LAYOUT request
- Provide enough image memory for the service if you are saving the output to an image format such as jpg, png or bmp.
When creating an ArcMap Service the image memory limit needs to be set (see the ArcIMS online help topic "Setting site properties"). The memory required is based on the maximum size of an output image and the desired resolution.
See: How To: Estimate the image memory limit for an ArcMap service based on the page size of layout
- Use the IMAGESIZE attributes (dpi, width and height) appropriately. You may need to change these attributes, depending on your output format (image or vector) in order to increase the quality of the output.
See: How To: Use the IMAGESIZE tag of a GET_LAYOUT request
- Calculate the image width and height attributes for a GET_LAYOUT request
- Use the ArcMap Server GET_LAYOUT request
- Working with the GET_LAYOUT request and ArcMap Server: a list of related articles
- ESRI Online Support Center
- The layout results from an ArcMap Server GET_LAYOUT request differs from expectations
- What output formats does ArcMap Server support?