How To: Change the version of JRE installed with the Java Viewer
This document details the steps necessary to change the default version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed during the installation of the Java Viewer on client machines.
The following steps are an example of how to use JRE version 1.3.0_02 as the download from the ArcIMS Server. The name of the server that has ArcIMS running is ims.esri.com.
- Place the JRE version 1.3.0_02 executable in a Web site folder (for example, C:\ArcIMS\Website).
- After creating a Java Web site, browse to the ArcIMS Web site folder, browse to the Java Web site folder, then open the .htm file.
For a Java Standard Web site, open the default2.htm file. For a Java Custom Web site, open the ie.htm file.
- With the htm file opened in a text editor, make the following changes to the OBJECT tag:
<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93" ID="imsSite" WIDTH="1" HEIGHT="1"
The HTTP location is pointing to the Web site location of the server where the JRE is located. Choose any location on the server.
- Save and close the .htm file.
- Now when the Java Web site is accessed, the client will be prompted to install JRE version 1.3.0_02 directly from your server.