How To: Convert GCS HARN to Florida State Plane East NAD83
The following article demonstrates how to convert the projection of a shapefile from GCS HARN to Florida State Plane East NAD83 meters. This example assumes the Input shapefile has an accompanying projection definition file (*.prj).
Projection Name: Geographic Coordinate System NAD83 HARN
Units: Decimal Degrees
Projection Name: NAD_1983_Florida_East
Projection: Florida State Plane
- Load the shapefile and initialize the Projection Utility. A. Start ArcView.
B. Select File > Extensions.
C. Check 'Projection Utility Wizard' and click OK.
D. Create a new view and add the shapefile to be projected.
E. Select File > ArcView Projection Utility.
The shapefile should be listed in the ArcView Projection utility 'Step 1' dialog box if the shapefile is selected in the Table of Contents. If the Coordinate System field in the 'Step 1' dialog box shows 'Unknown', you need to define the input projection parameters (as shown below). If the content of that field is other than 'unknown', you can skip the input projection parameters definition.
- Click Next on the 'Step 1' dialog box. The 'Step 2' dialog box will appear. Since the Coordinate System is known in the 'Step 1' dialog box, the Name tab should be filled in with the correct Input parameters.
- Specify Datum conversion parameters.A. Make sure Show Advanced Options is checked.
B. Switch to the Datum tab.
C. Select HARN_Florida_To_NAD_1983 under Geographic Transformation.
- Click Next on the 'Step 2' dialog box.
- Define output projection parameters using the parameters shown above. A. Set Coordinate System Type to Projected.
B. Set the Name for your projection.
C. Set the Units for your projection.
- Click Next on the 'Step 3' dialog box.
- Specify name and location of the new shapefile.
- Click Next on the 'Step 4' dialog box.
- Review the Summary and click Finish.