Problem: Arrow marker symbols are not placed as expected
When working with ArcMap Cartographic Line Symbols, it is possible to specify marker symbols to be placed along the line. Common examples are arrows at either or both ends of the line.
It is possible to offset these marker symbols a specified distance from the endpoints of the line or along the line, by setting an offset on the marker symbol. This process requires selecting the line marker symbol option Rotate symbol to follow line.
Offsetting does not work properly if using Arrow Marker Symbols and the rotation setting is Rotate symbol to follow line.
Solution or Workaround
Use a Simple Marker Symbol or Cartographic Marker Symbol instead of an Arrow Marker Symbol.
For arrowheads, follow the steps below, starting from the Line Properties tab of the Symbol Property Editor dialog box.
- Click Properties.
- Click Symbol in the Line Decoration Editor dialog box.
- Click Properties in the Symbol Selector.
- Select character marker symbol from the type drop-down list. Select the ESRI Arrowhead from the Font drop-down list.
- Select color, character, and size as needed.
- Set the desired X offset.
The Y offset may need to be adjusted to center the arrowhead on the line.
- Click OK.