Error: Opening feature class. General function failure
After adding a shapefile into ArcMap, the following message appears and the layer does not draw:
"Error opening feature class. General function failure"
AppLockMgr.exe is not registered. ArcMap and ArcCatalog need this helper application for working with shapefiles.
Solution or Workaround
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Close ArcMap and ArcCatalog.
- Open the Command Prompt window: Start > Programs > Command Prompt.
- Browse to the ArcGIS bin folder.
Note: In the case of ArcGIS 9, the bin folder is located under C:\Program Files\ArcGIS, so the syntax would be as follows:
- Type: regsvr32 applockmgr.dll
- Type: applockmgr.exe /regserver
- Close the Command Prompt window.
- Start ArcMap, and add the shapefile data.