Problem: Labels with Japanese characters are not displayed properly for image services on Solaris
Labels with Japanese characters are not displayed properly for image services on Solaris.
A) The header number in the shapefile's DBF file is incorrect.
B) The fonts are in the wrong location or not loaded.
C) The textfont for the labels is not gothic or mincho.
Solution or Workaround
- Make sure that the shapefile's DBF has the header number "13" in its 30th position. To check the header number, edit the DBF file in Visual C++ (or any application capable of editing DBF files). The header number may be 00 or 57, change it to 13 and save the DBF file.
- The True Type fonts used are HG-GothicB.ttf and HGminchoL.ttf. After purchasing these fonts, copy them into the /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType directory.
- Using Author, ensure the fonts for the labels are set correctly.
1. Make the layer active
2. Click the Layer Properties button
3. Click the Labels tab
4. Click the Font dropdown list and choose the appropriate font:
HG(Gothic in Japanese)B or HG(Mincho in Japanese)L
In Author, the labels show up as dots instead of Japanese characters. They will display correctly in the image service.
5. Click Save Project to save the file.