How To: Create a customized legend in an ArcView layout
This article provides two options to create a customized legend in an ArcView layout.
The first option is to simplify the legend in the graphics menu and selectively delete elements of the legend. The second option is to create a new view frame.
- Simplify the legend
1. Add the legend to the layout.
2. Select the legend using the pointer tool.
3. Select Graphics > Simplify.
4. Click on any blank space in the layout with the pointer tool to unselect the legend elements.
5. Select the individual elements of the legend that should be deleted with the pointer tool.
6. Select Edit > Delete.
- Create a new view frame
1. Create a new view with only the themes to be included in the custom legend.
2. Add a new view frame representing this view to the layout.
3. Use the pointer tool to select the new view frame and drag it off to the side of the layout.
4. Add the legend for this new view to the layout.
5. Select the legend using the pointer tool.
6. Select Graphics > Simplify.
7. Select Graphics > Group
8. Use the pointer tool to select the new view frame added in Step 2.
9. Select Edit > Delete.