Bug: Unable to create a selection layer in ArcMap
No selection layer is created and nothing is added to a map when you attempt to use the Create Layer From Selected Features option in ArcMap.
You cannot create a selection layer from a layer that points to a read-only personal geodatabase.
You need to obtain write access to your personal geodatabase, but if you are unable to do so, you may be able to use a Definition Query instead of a Selection Layer. A Definition Query will only be a useful substitute if your selection is described using an attribute query.
- Right-click the layer on which you have made your selection and click Copy.
- Paste the layer into the Table of Contents.
- Clear the selection on the new layer.
Right-click on the layer and go to Selection.
- Double-click on the layer to open the Layer Properties dialog box.
- Click the Definition Query tab.
- Click the Query Builder button.
- Use the dialog box to build a query that limits the features used in that layer as you desire.