Error: Floating point exception
When a project or layout is opened, ArcView returns the following error:
Floating Point Exception
The most common cause is a conflict between ArcView and the default printer driver.
Solution or Workaround
- Determine if there is a conflict by changing the default printer. See the link in the Related Information section below.
If a Floating Point Exception error is still displayed, see Related Information. If not, proceed to step 2.
If only one printer is installed on the computer, change the printer to a dummy printer.
Other printers, including the previous default, are still available. Select them from the drop down list in the Print dialog box.
- Install the most recent version of the printer driver available. This is usually found at the printer manufacturer's web page.
- Floating Point Exception
- When applying a View Properties Projection to a view with CAD themes, 'Floating Point Exception' occurs
- 3D Analyst Errors
- Salvage a damaged ArcView project file
- Segmentation Violation
- Create a 'dummy' printer and set it to be the default printer for Windows