How To: Update the license file on the license manager server
This article describes two methods to update the license file on the License Manager server, running the update utility, or performing a manual update.
Run the Update License Utility
Manual Update (if the Update License Utility didn't work)
- Save the new license file to a location not related to ESRI software.
- Run the Update License utility.
See: How To: Update your existing license file using the Update License tool
- Save the new license file to a location not related to ESRI software and name it license.txt
- Stop the License Manager:
- Click Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager > License Manager Tools.
- Click the second radio button Configuration using Services.
- Highlight ESRI License Manager.
- Switch to the Start/Stop/Reread tab.
- Click the Stop Server button. A stopping confirmation message is returned.
- Minimize the screen.
- Swap license files:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\ESRI\License.
- Delete all the .lic files.
- Make a copy of license.txt, save it to the same directory you just deleted all the .lic files from, and rename it ARCINFO.lic.
- Close this screen.
- Start the server:
- Restore the LMTOOLS screen.
- Click the Start Server button. You will get a starting confirmation message.
- Click Reread License File, and when it completes, close this screen.
Last Published: 6/27/2018
Article ID: 000004747
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1 ArcGIS-ArcView 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1 ArcInfo Workstation 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1 More Products legacy.products