How To: Convert coverage route features to polylineM shapefile features
The ARCSHAPE command in ArcInfo Workstation does not create polylineM features when converting a coverage route system into a shapefile. Route features are converted to simple polylines and the measure values are not maintained.
Several methods exist for creating shapefiles that contain polylineM features depending on the ArcGIS license available.
- ArcInfo - Workstation
1. Use the DEFINE LAYER command to create a defined layer from the route feature class .
Usage: LAYER DEFINE <defined_layer> COVERAGE <cover> <featureclass>
Arc: layer define temp coverage testcov route.river
2. Use the LAYEREXPORT command with the SHAPEFILE option to create a measured shapefile.
Usage: LAYEREXPORT <defined_layer> SHAPEFILE <shapefile>
Arc: layerexport temp shapefile river.shp
- ArcInfo - ArcToolbox or ArcCatalog
Use the Coverage to Shapefile conversion tools to export the route feature class. The new shapefile will contain measured polyline features.
- ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo - ArcMap
1. Add the route feature class to the display.
2. Right-click the route layer in the Table of Contents and select Data > Export Data.
3. Create a new shapefile from features in this layer.
4. Click OK.