Error: The Working Directory location cannot have a space in the path name. Please specify a new location
This error occurs when clicking OK on the Options window of Spatial Analyst:
"The Working Directory location cannot have a space in the path name. Please specify a new location."
The temporary directory path definition contains a space character.
The default working directory for Spatial Analyst on Windows 2000 is set by the TEMP and TMP user variables. After ArcGIS is installed, the initial path for this directory points to this hidden folder:
<drive>:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp
This path should not have a space character.
Solution or Workaround
Do one of the following:
- Set the working directory in the Options menu to a pathname that does not contain any space characters.
- Set the TEMP and TMP variables for your system to pathname that does not contain any space characters.
1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click the System icon.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Set TEMP and TMP in Environment Variables section.