Problem: Missing component categories
When running Categories.exe, the following categories cannot be found: Mx Commands, Mx Extensions, or other Mx categories.
Categories.exe is located in the ArcGIS installation directory's Bin folder. This folder is usually found in the following location:
The install program for Adobe Acrobat Reader installs a few corrupt component category keys into the registry. The Component Category Manager encounters these corrupt registry keys when it is populating the list of component categories and fails to add all of the categories to the list.
Solution or Workaround
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.Instructions provided describe how to restore the missing component categories.
- Use the Fix Registry Utility to detect and remove corrupt entries.
- In the Related Information section below, click the appropriate Fix Registry Utility link.
- Follow the instructions to run the Fix Registry Utility.
- ArcGIS 8.x Fix Registry Utility
- ArcGIS 9.0 Fix Registry Utility
- ArcGIS 9.1 Fix Registry Utility
- ArcGIS 9.2 Fix Registry Utility
- ArcGIS 9.3 Fix Registry Utility