Error: Buffering failed: Errors occurred during the buffering operation (with SDE geodatabase)
When saving the results of a buffer to an SDE geodatabase, ArcMap returns this message:
"Buffering failed: Errors occurred during the buffering operation."
Saving the results to a personal geodatabase may return this error:
"Error: One or more layers failed to draw: General function failure [Buffer_of_layername] Syntax error in date in query expression '#SHAPE#'."
The data being buffered may be from an ArcIMS map service. ArcIMS feature classes have pound signs in the shape field name, '#SHAPE#'. The pound signs cause a conflict when trying to save the output to a geodatabase.
Solution or Workaround
- Save the buffer output to a shapefile instead of a geodatabase.
- Export the shapefile to a geodatabase.
Summary:You can export an layer in ArcMap to a Geodatabase feature class.
- Start ArcMap and add data to the Data Frame, if needed.
- Right-click the layer to be exported.
- Select Data > Export Data.
- Click the Browse button.
- Change the output type dropdown list to Personal geodatabase feature class.
- Navigate to the geodatabase where you want to save the output.
- Click the Save button.
- Click OK.