How To: Replace one value for another within a field
Instructions provided demonstrate how to use the Replace function in the Field Calculator, to replace one value for another within a field in a table.
- Load the table into ArcMap.
- Select Start Editing from the Editor menu.
- Open the table.
- Right-click the desired field.
- Select Field Calculator.
- Type the following in the expression box:
- Place the cursor between the parenthesis of the line just typed.
- Select the name of the field from the Fields list.
- Type a comma after the end bracket surrounding the field name.
- Type the value to be replaced and the replacement value; enclose each value in quotation marks and separate with a comma. For example:
- Click OK.
Last Modified: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000004254
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1