Problem: Legend classification labels and attribute values are incorrect for multiple ring buffers
The legend and attribute labels for shapefiles, created from a multiple ring buffer of a point or line layer, are incorrect. The FromBufDist field contains the wrong values, which causes the legend classification to be incorrect as well.
This problem happens after creating a multiple ring buffer on a polygon layer using either the 'Inside and outside the polygon(s)' or 'Outside the polygon(s) and include inside' options.
This is a known issue. The ArcMap Buffer Wizard retains the previous buffer settings from the last time you used the wizard. When your previous settings include the option 'Inside and outside the polygon(s)' or 'Outside the polygon(s) and include inside,' and you buffer multiple rings around points or lines, the label and attribute values use the incorrect values.
Solution or Workaround
This issue has been addressed in ArcGIS Version 8.1.2.
In ArcGIS 8.1, correct the values in the FromBufDist field and the legend class labels.
- If needed, select the workspace corresponding to the buffer output.
- Right-click the buffer layer and select Open Attribute Table.
- Type in the correct values on the FromBufDist field.
- Stop editing and save the edits.
- Click the label of each buffer classification in the legend.
- Click once more to activate the cursor and type in the correct values.
You can also change the label values in the Symbology tab of the Layer Properties dialog box.