How To: Create a palette file with images as custom markers via the ArcView interface
Steps for creating a palette file with images as custom markers via the ArcView interface.
In order to use an image file as a marker, the file must be in one of the following formats:
.mcp - MacPaint
.bmp - Windows bitmap
.rs - Sun Rasterfile
.tif - Tag Image File Format
.xbm - X Bitmap
- Select Show Symbol option from the Window pulldown menu.
- Click the Palette Manager icon.
- Click Clear.
- Change the Type to Marker.
- Click Import.
- Navigate to the directory where your icons are stored.
- Select the desired icon.
You can only bring in one icon at a time.
- Click OK.
- Click Save.
- Give the new palette a name and location.
After saving the palette, clear it and reload the default.avp marker palette.
This produces a collection of images that can get quite large, so create smaller icons. A size of 16x16 pixels (.13x.13 inches) or smaller should suffice.