How To: Make the scale/size of the map in the layout match a printed copy
Steps to make the size of the map elements on the screen, when zoomed to 100%, the same size as when printed.
ArcMap assumes a monitor size of 15 inches and bases the size of all map elements according to this. If your monitor is a different size, you can specify your display width and height in the ArcMap Advanced Settings Utility.
- Quit ArcMap, if it is running.
- Access the ArcMap Advanced Settings Utility. A. Navigate to the Utilities folder under the ArcGIS installation directory; for example, C:\arcgis\arcexe81\Utilities.
B. Double-click AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe.
- Click the Miscellaneous tab.
- In the Monitor section, type your display width and height in millimeters. An easy way to find these values is to measure the width and height of a fully-maximized application, such as ArcMap.
- Close the ArcMap Advanced Settings Utility.
The next time you use ArcMap, the size of the printed copy should more closely match the size of the layout display.