Error: Error 1904. Module C:\arcgis\arcexe8x\bin\xxx.dll failed to register
When installing ArcGIS, Windows returns the following error:
Error: Error 1904. Module C:\arcgis\arcexe8x\bin\xxx.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147467262. Contact your support personnel
If the error is ignored, the installation continues until Windows returns another similar error. This continues throughout the installation.
The Microsoft System Files were not properly updated or there are environment variables with blank values.
Solution or Workaround
The following solutions are in order from most likely to least likely.
- Make sure you have the correct version of the Comcat.dll in C:\WINNT\System32:
- Windows NT - Version 4.71
- Windows 2000 - Version 5.00
- Windows XP - Version 5.0
Note: See the Related Information section below for the solution.
- Check your Environment Variables and make sure all have correct values.
For help with setting a system environment variable, see: How To: Edit an environment variable.
- Uninstall ArcGIS, remove dao360.dll and then reinstall ArcGIS.
IMPORTANT: Do not delete or remove dao360.dll when installing ArcGIS Desktop 9.0 or greater
- Error 1904 c:\arcgis\arcexe8x\bin\afcontrols.ocx h result - 2147221164
- Comcat.dll Update
- Error 1904: failed to register C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Bin\xmlsupportui.dll, 3dsymbolsui.dll, or GxRaster.dll
Last Published: 6/17/2016
Article ID: 000004002