Error: Installer Error: Internal Error
During the installation of ArcGIS 8x products, the installer returns the following error:
Installer Error: Internal Error ####
Note: The #### represents one of the various error codes returned.
Internal error codes can be related to incorrect permissions settings on the machine, corrupt device drivers, incorrect environment variables, or out-of-date service packs.
Solution or Workaround
The following solutions are for the most common to the least common causes.
- Boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 during reboot. Start the installation again.
- Windows NT 4.0 - Make sure Service Pack 6a is installed.
1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type winver and press Enter.
See Related Information below if you need to upgrade the service pack.
- Make sure the TEMP and TMP environment variables are set. Both variables should point to a drive and folder that are empty.
See: How To: Edit an environment variable
- Make sure the EVERYONE and SYSTEM groups have FULL CONTROL to these directories: temp, flexlm, and arcgis. Select 'Replace Permissions on Subdirectories and Existing Files.' Reboot your machine and install again. See: How To: Change permissions for directories or files
- If the installation continues to fail, create the path where the installation fails and grant EVERYONE and SYSTEM groups FULL CONTROL to that path. Select 'Replace Permissions on Subdirectories and Existing Files.' Reboot the computer and install again.
- If you cannot install at this point, grant EVERYONE and SYSTEM groups FULL CONTROL to the install drive and the C drive. Select 'Replace Permissions on Subdirectories and Existing Files.'
- If the above did not solve the problem, check your environment variables. Make sure all are pointing to the correct drive and directory, and that all variables have an associated value. Once they have been correctly set, try the installation again.