How To: Update an ArcIMS 3.0 Java Custom Viewer to work with ArcIMS 3.1
Follow these instructions to migrate ArcIMS 3.0 Java Custom Viewers to work with ArcIMS 3.1.
After these seven steps are complete, you have migrated your ArcIMS 3.0 Java Custom Viewer to ArcIMS 3.1.
- Update the ArcIMS 3.0 map file (*.axl) to ArcIMS 3.1. Once the data paths have been updated, in most cases, opening and saving the map file in ArcIMS 3.1 Author will update the file. Alternatively, you can use the AXL2AXL Converter available from ArcIMS Online.
You must use the same layers when converting from ArcIMS 3.0 to ArcIMS 3.1 to maintain the original URLs, data paths, names, and layer ids.
- Start the map file as a MapService. You should use the same name for the MapService as you did in ArcIMS 3.0.
- If you move your Java Custom Viewer to a different computer, open the web site’s default.axl and default.js files in a text editor and find and replace all instances of the old computer name with the new computer name.
If your Java Custom Viewer uses MapNotes and EditNotes, the default.js will contain references to an ArcIMS Spatial Server.
- In default.axl, change the following from
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Cp1252"?> (note: this line may not be included)
'<ARCXML VERSION="1.0"> ' or '<ARCXML VERSION="1.0.1"> '
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> (note: this line must be included)
The attribute ‘version’ is lowercase in ArcIMS 3.1.
- Make the changes shown below in the following files:
a. Change the following line from
<param NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2">
<param NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.3">
b. Change the following line from
No JDK 1.2 support for APPLET!!
No JDK 1.3 support for APPLET!!
- Replace ie.htm with ie.htm from a Java Custom Viewer directory created with ArcIMS 3.1.
- When ArcIMS is installed, a directory called install is copied to the web site’s working directory (by default this location is c:\arcims\website). If your web site is not in the working directory, you will need to copy this install directory to the folder that has your Web site. (The install directory and the web site’s directory must be in the same directory—this is necessary because the links for installing the JRE Plug-in and the ArcIMS applets point to the install directory.