How To: Make an OLE DB connection to a file-based ODBC DSN
Instructions provided are for creating an OLE DB connection to an ODBC data source using a file-based DSN (data source name).
- Double-click 'Add OLE DB Connection' item in ArcCatalog or ArcMap.
- Make sure the default OLE DB provider, MicroSoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers, is selected and click Next.
Microsoft OLE DB Providers are included with ArcGIS.
The list may be different than this example, as proprietary and third-party OLE DB providers for other data sources may be installed on the machine being used.
- Select the 'Use Connection String' radio button on the Connection Tab.
- Click Build. Select either an existing DSN file or create a new one.
Generating ODBC connection string from a file based ODBC DSN.
- Check the Allow saving password box if the connection requires a password.
Check the Allow saving password option before exiting from the Data Link Utilities dialog box.
- Test the connection and click OK. A new OLE DB connection item is added to the Catalog tree.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000003757
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.1 ArcGIS-ArcView 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1