Problem: ArcMap closes when running a Spatial Analyst function
ArcMap crashes when running a Spatial Analyst function.
This problem may be the result of one of the following:
· Insufficient disk space. If there is not enough disk space available to store the results from a Spatial Analyst function, ArcMap may crash.
· The output grid name contains certain double-byte (or wide) characters.
If the output filename contains these types of characters, ArcMap may crash.
· The location set for the Working Directory is not writable.
Solution or Workaround
- Make sure there is sufficient free disk space. Estimate the space required by looking at other existing rasters of similar extent, resolution and data variability. Where the properties are likely to change, consider that expanding the extent, increasing the resolution, and generating rasters with more spatial variability, all tend to increase the storage requirements.
- Avoid using double-byte characters in ArcGIS 8.1.
- Make sure the location set for the Working Directory (click Options on the Spatial Analyst toolbar context menu and click the General tab) is writable. Right-click the folder in Windows Explorer and click Properties. On the General tab, Read-only should be unchecked. On the Security tab, users of the folder should have write access. Even if the Working Directory set is not accessed by inputs or used by outputs from functions, temporary data created as a part of many calculations is placed in the Working Directory, so it should always be a writable location.