Problem: The Add Data dialog box lists files and directories in reverse order
ArcMap's Add Data dialog box lists files and directories in descending alphabetical order. Instructions provided describe how to list the contents in ascending order.
The sorting order has been changed in either ArcCatalog or ArcMap. The ArcCatalog tree and ArcMap's Add Data dialog box are the same; therefore, changes made to one are reflected in the other.
Solution or Workaround
Either ArcCatalog or ArcMap can be used to re-establish the default order.
1. Click the Add Data button.
2. Click the Details button on the Add Data dialog box.
3. Click the Name column heading to sort the directory listing by name.
4. Click the List view button to switch back to list view.
1. Navigate to the disk or folder that needs to be viewed in sorted order.
2. Switch to the Contents tab.
3. Click the Details button on the Standard toolbar.
4. Click the heading of the column whose values will be used to sort the list.
The first time the column heading is clicked, its values are sorted in one order. Click the column heading again to reverse the order.