Problem: GeoProcessing wizard's Dissolve tool crashes ArcMap if it processes empty or null geometry
This problem is addressed in ArcGIS 8.1 Service Pack 1. See Related Information section to download this pack.
Attempting to use the Dissolve tool in the ArcMap GeoProcessing wizard causes ArcMap to crash.
The layer being dissolved may contain records that have no geometry; that is, the records may contain values for other attributes, but the value for the shape field is empty or null. Trying to dissolve on such a layer will cause ArcMap to error.
Solution or Workaround
Determine which records have no geometry, and delete these records from the layer. In order to preserve the original state of your layer, you may want to make a copy of it and perform these steps on the copy.
- Zoom out to the full extent of your map. You can use the Full Extent button of the Tools toolbar.
Make sure all your features are visible.
- Click the Select Features tool of the Tools toolbar.
- Click and drag a box around all the features.
- Open the layer's attribute table.
- Click options and then Switch Selection.
- The highlighted records should be all the records that have null or empty geometry.
- Click the Editor Toolbar button of the main toolbar.
- Click the Editor dropdown menu and select Start Editing.
- Press the Delete key.
- Click the Editor dropdown menu and select Stop Editing. Save your edits.