FAQ: What are some teaching tools and resources while learning to program with ArcObjects?
What are some teaching tools and resources while learning to program with ArcObjects?
Training & learning ArcObjects
- "Getting to Know ArcObjects" - a book for novice programmers. It is organized into lessons that flow from one to the next. The first half of the book teaches basic programming in VBA. The second half of the book teaches some simple ArcObjects programming.
- ESRI offers Instructor-Led Training courses on how to program in ArcObjects.
Extending ArcGIS Desktop Applications
Developing Applications with ArcGIS Engine
Developing Applications with ArcGIS Server (.NET)
Developing Applications with ArcGIS Server (Java)
Developing Applications with ArcWeb Services for the Microsoft® .NET Framework
- ESRI Virtual Campus offers ArcObjects seminars and workshops.
Introduction to ArcGIS for Developers
Migrating to VB .NET
Understanding Branching and Looping in VBA
Resource materials and sites
- ArcObjects Developer Help contains sample code, technical documents, Object Model Diagrams, and the language reference.
In ArcGIS 9.x, click Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Developer Help.
- ESRI Developer Network (EDN) provides access to many forms of information:
ESRI Developer-Related Videos
See the link to EDN in the Related Information section, below.
- ArcScripts is a Web site that contains user developed or third party applications, extensions, code samples, and other custom functions for GIS users.
- "Exploring ArcObjects" is a book that shipped with ArcGIS 8.x in PDF format. It discusses ArcObjects classes and interfaces in detail and provides many useful code samples. Much of the exploring ArcObjects book has been included in the 9.x help.
- Context Sensitive Help displays the help topics for the selected item.
- The Object Browser displays the properties, methods, and events for all the objects in your project.
In the Visual Basic Editor press F2 or the Object Browser icon.
- The ESRI User Forum is a excellent resource for finding code samples. You can also post questions and search for information.
Problems & troubleshooting tips
- ESRI Support Center contains many Knowledge Base articles that contain helpful information and code samples for ArcObjects.
- Technical Support may assist you in problems dealing with interfaces, properties, methods, and events for working with ArcObjects within ArcGIS in VBA.
- Developer Support may assist you in problems dealing with interfaces, properties, methods, and events for ArcObjects in development environments outside of ArcGIS.
- ESRI Developer Network (EDN)
- GIS Store Online
- ESRI Support Center
- ArcObjects Online (For 8.3)
- ArcGIS Developer Online (For 9.0)
- ESRI User Forums