How To: Manually remove ArcIMS from the Windows Registry
Instructions provided describe the steps to manually remove ArcIMS from the registry.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions; therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
1. Remove ArcIMS from the Add/Remove Programs registry:
Choose Start > Run and type regedit. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, highlight ArcIMS 3.1, and press Delete.
2. Remove the three ArcIMS Services from the registry if Application Server and Spatial Server were installed on your system:
While still in regedit, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services, highlight ArcIMS Application Server 3.1, and press Delete. Also delete ArcIMS Monitor 3.1 and ArcIMS Tasker 3.1.
3. If ArcIMS Manager, ArcIMS Spatial Server, or ColdFusion Connector were installed, ARCIMS_ICU needs to be removed from the registry.
ArcIMS writes the ARCIMS_ICU DATA to
After uninstall, the
path value should be "". Manager, CF Connector, Saptial Server need ICU
DATA, the path value will not be set to "" until all three pieces are
4. If ArcIMS Application Server and ArcIMS Spatial Server were installed,Micosoft VM Classpath needs to be restored in the registry after ArcIMS uninstallation.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM, highlight Classpath, and delete C:\Program Files\ESRI\ArcIMS3.1\Middleware\lib\parser.jar;C:\Program Files\ESRI\ArcIMS3.1\Middleware\lib\jaxp.jar from the Classpath. Click OK.
5. The installation uses the registry to keep track of the Shared DLLs.
Warning: Be careful about this step.
The JAR files shared between various components are installed as shared files. The registry has a counter to remember how many components still need each file.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDll and make sure there are no files related to ArcIMS. See Uninstalling ArcIMS step 9 for a list of ArcIMS JAR files. BE SURE TO DELETE ONLY THE ARCIMS RELATED SHARED FILES.
If you delete a file manually without using the Add/Remove feature, it will un-sync the counter, which results in JAR files not being deleted. Shared files only get deleted when the counter becomes zero.
6. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI, highlight ARCIMS, and press Delete.