How To: Print or save to file with ArcMap
Instructions provided describe how to print or save to file with ArcMap. Use the 'Print to file' option for printing additional copies of a map, or when there is no immediate access to a printer.
- Use the Page Setup dialog box to define the map page, printer and printer engine to print to.
ArcMap 9.x and above Page and Print Setup
ArcMap 8.x Page Setup
If there is no access to the printer to print to, create a 'dummy' printer. See the link in the Related Information section below.
- Click File > Print, or click the Print icon in the Standard toolbar.
- Check 'Print to file' on the Print dialog box and click OK.
ArcMap 9.x and above
- At the prompt to save the file to disk, select the location and optionally change the file name. Click OK.
ArcMap automatically names the printer file with the map document name and appends an appropriate file extension. For example, if the MexicoPopulation.mxd sample map is printed with the Windows printer engine, the default file name is MexicoPopulation.prn. The PostScript printer engine appends .ps, while the ArcPress printer engine appends the appropriate driver extension (For example, .rtl for HP RTL).
- ArcMap clips map when printed
- Print a saved print-ready document, such as a *.prn file
- Create a 'dummy' printer and set it to be the default printer for Windows