How To: Plant trees on a TIN or grid theme in a 3D viewer
ArcView 3D Analyst comes with a set of sample scripts that generates trees on a 3D Scene. This document discusses how to use this tool.
- Open a new script window.
A. Activate the Project window.
B. Click the Scripts icon.
C. Click New.
- Load the 3dtreeap.ave sample script file. This file is located in ..\esri\av_gis30\arcview\samples\scripts directory.
A. Select 'Load Text File' from the Script menu.
B. Navigate to the location of the text file.
C. Double-click on the file.
- Rename the script 3D.TreeApply.
A. Select Properties from the Script menu.
B. Type in a new name in the Name field.
C. Click OK.
- Select Compile from the Script menu.
- Repeat steps 1 - 4 for the sample script 3dcreek.ave. Rename this script 3D.TreeClick.
- Repeat steps 1 - 4 for the sample script addtovie.ave. Rename this script 3D.AddToView.
- Open the 3D.AddToView script and click the Run button.
- Select Tool from the Add to Viewer dialog.
- Give the new tool a unique name.
- Click the Yes button when asked if you would like to set an apply.
- Select the 3D.TreeApply script on the Script Manager dialog box and click the OK button.
- Click the Yes button when asked if you would like to set a click script to this tool.
- Select the 3D.TreeClick script on the Script Manager dialog box and click the OK button.
- Click the Yes button when asked if you would like to set a Help String to this tool.
- Enter a brief description of what this tool does. This information will appear in the bottom left corner of your ArcView window.
- Select an icon for this new tool.
- Open a new 3D Scene and add your data.
The new tool will only show up on 3D Scenes created after this script is ran. Refer to the comments in each script for further details.
- Click the new tool and define the height of the trees.
- Click in the area of your 3D scene where you would like a tree to appear.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000003061
Software: ArcView GIS 3.2a