Error: Cannot open communications to digitizer port
When typing the command 'Arc: digtest gtco16 com1:9600:8bit:none' an error returns:
Cannot open communications to digitizer port com1:9600:8bit:none"
There are three possible causes for the error:
1. User does not have read-write permissions for the serial port.
2. The wrong serial port was specified.
3. Another device is using the port.
Solution or Workaround
Each solution below relates to it's corresponding numbered cause given above:
- Ensure the user has read-write permissions to the port.
<a href='http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/11755' target='_blank'>How To: Connect a digitizer to a UNIX platform for use with ARC/INFO</a>
- Use the correct port in the digtest or digitzer command syntax. These are commonly:
com1 for Windows;
/dev/ttya for Solaris;
/dev/ttyd1 for Irix;
/dev/tty00 for Tru64;
/dev/tty0 for AIX; and
/dev/tty0p0 for HP-UX
- Make sure no other programs are using the port. Some operating systems also allocate devices to ports.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000003050