Problem: Problems classifying a shapefile with Boolean field in ArcView 3.x once it is edited in 8.x
A shapefile Boolean field will not classify correctly in ArcView 3.x after edits are made to it in ArcMap 8.x.
ArcView 3.x writes True (T) and False (F) to Boolean fields, while ArcMap writes Yes (Y) and No (N. Once values are edited in ArcMap, they appear as Y and N in ArcView 3.x, and thus fall outside of the original classification as set up in the legend editor.
Solution or Workaround
In ArcView 3.x, to properly classify values that have been edited in ArcMap, modify your legend to also accommodate the ArcMap Boolean format (Y/N).
- Open the Legend Editor.
- Select unique value from the Legend Type dropdown list.
- Select Boolean field in the values field dropdown list.
- Delete the class for Y and N.
- Type F, N in the False value box.
- Type False in the False label box.
- Type T, Y in the True value box.
- Type True in the True label box.
- Apply the legend.