Problem: Symbology methods that change the drawing order of features do not work properly in some cases
When using some symbology methods, larger symbols are incorrectly drawn on top; thus, obscuring smaller symbols beneath them.
Several symbology methods that should be drawing symbols in order of increasing size are not doing so. These are:
1. Pie chart symbology method where size is varied using the sum of field values.
2. Pies chart symbology method where size is varied using a field.
3. Quantity by category method with graduated symbols used to symbolize quantity.
Solution or Workaround
- If using the Pie chart symbology method, check the box to Prevent chart overlap.
To prevent chart symbols from being placed on top of each other, check the Prevent chart overlap box.
- If using the Quantity by category symbology method:
1. Use the Select features tool to select the problem features.
2. In the Table of Contents, right-click your layer and select Convert to graphics from the popup menu.
At this point, the problem features are drawn as graphics, and you can use the Select elements tool to select and move any symbols without affecting the location of the actual features.