How To: Create a custom area or line legend patch shape
Steps to create custom legend patch shapes using the New Legend Patch Shape tool available through the Customization dialog. This functionality lets a user create a custom legend patch shape for use in layouts.
- Open the Customize dialog by selecting Customize > Customize Mode from the menu bar.
• For versions 9.3.X and earlier: Choose Tools > Customize
- On the Commands tab, select Page Layout from the Categories list. This populates the Commands list with all the available page layout commands.
- Select the New Legend Patch Shape and drop it onto any toolbar.
- Select an area or line graphic or a polygon or line feature.
- Click the New Legend Patch Shape button.
- Set options as desired on the left side of the window. When finished, click the Add to Styleset button to save the patch.
- Enter a name for the new patch shape and click OK.
- The patch can be used in a new legend by choosing it from the Line or Area drop-down menu in the Legend Wizard.
- To update an existing legend, right-click the legend and choose Properties. Click the Layout tab and choose the appropriate Line or Area dropdown to select the custom patch.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000002806
Software: ArcMap 10.4.1, 10.4, 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1, 10