How To: Make an OLE DB connection to non-relational data sources
Steps to make an OLE DB connection to non-relational data sources, such as text files.
- Create an ODBC Data Source Name (DSN), if none already exist, to the selected data source using the Windows Data Sources (ODBC) utility and an appropriate ODBC driver.
- Once you have created the DSN, double-click the Add OLE DB Connection option from within ArcCatalog or ArcMap to open the Data Link Properties menu.
- On the first panel of the Data Link Properties menu, make sure the Microsoft OLE DB provider for ODBC Drivers is selected. This is the default option.
- Click the Connection tab and select the first option 'Use data source name'. Select your DSN from the pulldown list
- Verify the connection by clicking Test Connection. Click OK to close the Data Link Properties menu.
- A new OLE DB connection object will appear in the ArcCatalog or ArcMap TOC view under the Database Connections folder. Expand this object to preview the tables.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000002590
Software: ArcGIS-ArcInfo 8.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.1