Problem: Geology.avp not showing first markers in palette
The geology.avp does not show the first three to four symbols in the pen palette, as shown in the Using ArcView GIS book that comes with ArcView. The areas where the line symbols should be are blank.
The palette file may be corrupt.
- Load in the geology.avp file from the Esri\Av_gis30\Arcview\symbols folder through the palette manager.
Steps to load a palette file.
- Select Show Symbol window from the Window menu.
- Click the Palette Manager button located on the far right of the palette window.
- Click the Load button and navigate to the ArcView Palette file (*.avp) location. This is usually the \ESRI\AV_GIS30\ArcView\Symbols folder.
- Select the palette file and click OK.
- Click the Make Default button if you want the symbols added by the palette file to be available the next time you start ArcView.
Palette manager screen capture
- Open the legend editor for a line theme.
- Double-click the symbol and select the pen palette.
- Scroll down to where the geology symbols should start.
- Click any line symbol (other than the areas that do not show up in the geology palette).
- Select one of the symbols that appear as nothing. You will now see the line symbol in the legend editor.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000002545
Software: ArcView GIS 3.2a, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0b, 3.0a, 3.0