How To: Converting view graphics into shapefiles
You can add graphics, found in a view, as features to a shapefile.
- Select all the graphics in the view that you want to convert to a shapefile.
Text graphics can not be pasted into a shapefile.
Make sure all the graphics you select are of the same type (point, polyline, or polygon).
- Select Copy Graphics from the Edit menu.
- Select New Theme from the View menu to create a new theme. When prompted, choose the feature type that matches the type of graphics you selected.
- Select Paste from the Edit menu.
- Select Stop Editing from the Theme menu. The graphics are now stored as features in the shapefile.
Last Published: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000002533
Software: ArcView GIS 3.2a, 3.2, 3.1, 3.0b, 3.0a, 3.0