How To: Convert selected features to a shapefile in ArcMap
Instructions provided describe how to convert the selected features of a layer to a new shapefile in ArcMap using the Export Data feature.
Follow the steps below:
- In ArcMap, use any of the methods available in the selection menu, or use the Select Features tool to manually select the features of the layer to be converted.
- In the Table of Contents, right-click the name of the layer with the selected features to convert.
- Select Data and then Export Data to open the Export Data dialog box.
- From the Export drop-down list, select and click Selected Features.
- Click the Browse button next to the Output Feature Class text box.
- In the Saving Data dialog window, select the output folder. Name the output and from the Save as type drop-down list, select Shapefile. Click Save.
- ArcMap: About exporting selected features and records
- ArcMap: Geoprocessing considerations for shapefile output
- ArcMap: Feature Class To Shapefile
- How To: Programmatically export selected features to a shapefile
Last Published: 12/22/2020
Article ID: 000002438
Software: ArcGIS-ArcEditor 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1 ArcGIS-ArcInfo 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1, 8.0.2, 8.0.1 ArcGIS-ArcView 9.3.1, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1.2, 8.1