Error: SHAPEARC returns 'Unknown shape type 0'
When running SHAPEARC, the following message is returned:
Arc: shapearc canada.shp outcov tempsub
13 Type 5 (POLYGON) shape records in E:\DEMO\CANADA.
Shape 13: Unknown shape type 0
Shape type 0 represents a geometry-less shape. Coverage format has no corresponding feature type, so SHAPEARC will not convert these types of shapes.
Remove the shapefile's geometry-less features.
1. Open the shapefile in ArcView as a theme in a view.
2. Check the theme on so it displays.
3. Click the Select Feature tool and drag a box around all of the features to select them.
4. Click the Open Theme Table button. The records of the selected features will be highlighted.
5. Click Edit > Switch Selection. The geometry-less records will now be highlighted.
6. Click Table > Start Editing.
7. Click Edit > Delete Records.
8. Click Table > Stop Editing. Click YES to save edits.
A. Add the shapefile as a new layer in ArcMap.
B. On the Editor toolbar, click Editor > Start Editing.
C. Click the Edit tool and drag a box to select all the features.
D. Right-click the layer name in the table of contents and click Open Attribute Table.
E. Records that are not highlighted are geometry-less records. Select the records that are not highlighted and delete them.
F. Repeat steps C and E until all of the geometry-less records are removed.
G. Click Editor > Stop Editing. Click YES to save edits.
Last Modified: 5/5/2016
Article ID: 000002269
Software: ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.0.1, 8.0.2 ArcInfo Workstation 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.2.1